[License-discuss] we need a new license for earning money

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Sep 22 18:18:26 UTC 2013

On 20/09/13 23:04, Pirmin Braun wrote:

+ explain how this development was financed. Because either there were
+ non-paid just-for-fun programmers at work who may turn away at any time
+ or the professional services have to pay the bills.

In my experience, open source is much more supportable in the long term
than proprietary software.  Proprietary software tends to get
end-of-lifed after three or four years, and, as only the supplier could
maintain it, you are left without a paddle.  If the vendor gets taken
over, it can become unsupportable in months.

In some cases, commercial software is end-of-lifed, because a newer
version is being marketed, which, on a suitably more powerful machine,
will perform the same function, but it also happens because the market
is no longer seen as profitable.

Whilst open source software may get declared end of life, you still have
the source code, or at least you do if had the foresight to take a copy,
so you can still get any competent programmer to maintain it for you.