[License-discuss] we need a new license for earning money

Pirmin Braun pb at intars.de
Fri Sep 20 21:40:33 UTC 2013

Am Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:56:17 +0100
schrieb Cinly Ooi <cinly.ooi at gmail.com> :

> -1
>
> Violation of
> 1. Free Redistribution5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups 6. No
> Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor (may be)
> Although you are not asking, you can always free to put on any license term
> you choose. But if you want OSI blessing, please play by the rule.
>
> What you are asking is for OSI to dilute their rules. That is not something
> I want so see so I vote against. I do not want OSI to create an exception
> for anyone including myself.
>
> Best Regards,
> Cinly

It's not that simple. There is the LGPL for certain reasons, "diluting" the GPL.
I'd prefer, to say "more evolved".
My vision is an addendum to the criterium

" 6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research."

that allows the licensor to collect money from business users to a certain amount, that does practically not sacrifice any benefits of Open Source. If done right, this will have more additional positive effects on the Open Source world.

--
Pirmin Braun - IntarS Unternehmenssoftware GmbH - Am Hofbräuhaus 1 - 96450 Coburg
+49 2642 40526292 +49 174 9747584 - skype:pirminb www.intars.de  pb at intars.de