[License-discuss] Started discussion with Figaro re their license.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Fri Sep 20 16:51:33 UTC 2013

John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> writes:
>I don't think it is.  Clauses 1 and 2 (as usual for BSD) require that the
>license itself be preserved by downstream distributors.  That license
>already includes the pointer required by clause 4 -- in the text of
>clause 4 itself.  So clause 4 is self-satisfying taken in conjunction
>with clauses 1 and 2.
>
>All good.
>
>/me snickers.

:-)

It's not clear what "include a pointer" means legally.  Is the reference
in the LICENSE file enough, or do they mean a hyperlink?  A hyperlink
that is shown somewhere in the UI where such information is customarily
shown?

IOW, the issue is not so much that it's a badgeware license as that one
can't quite tell to what degree or in what way it's a badgeware license.

-K