[License-discuss] License incompatibility (was Re: Open source license chooser choosealicense.com

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Sep 12 22:35:08 UTC 2013

John Cowan wrote:
> In any case, I am speaking here of literal copying only.

In that case, what's the problem you're hypothesizing? Every FOSS license
permits literal copying, and no FOSS license imposes a copyleft obligation
on any *other* work just because of making literal copies of the FOSS work.

> Why bring up linking?  My hypos have to do with source-code
> modification, not with linking.

Modified source code solely to accomplish interworking? That's almost the
same as creating a functional "link" between two separate programs but
instead by patching one or the other for that functional purpose only. I
contend that the differences of the methods of interworking are largely
irrelevant to the analysis.

Modified source code to change the program and its expression? That sounds
like a derivative work.

In any event, neither is "literal copying".

/Larry