[License-discuss] Red Hat compilation copyright & RHEL contract

Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz pe.schmitz at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 11 17:13:18 UTC 2013

This is indeed depending on the case: people (developers) always declare (often after the work has been done, and not before as it should be) that they "used" products X,Y, Z. But what do they mean by "use"? Aggregating? Linking? Copying only some APIs or data formats in order to ensure that software is interoperable? Or really merging their code with the existing one? Depending on the case, solution will differ, but the need for simplifying (or just making legally possible) distribution is there. Cases are indeed multiple, and these developers want to license under FOSS conditions (not proprietary). Incompatibilities between copyleft FOSS licences (including between GPLv2 only and GPLv3 only) produce a lot of FUD in such cases...

Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz