[License-discuss] License incompatibility (was Re: Open source license chooser choosealicense.com

Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz pe.schmitz at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:12:03 UTC 2013

Dear Till
Thank you for this - excellent - analysis.
You wrote:

The only hint you may find is Article 6 which says that decompilation is
allowed under certain circumstances to "achieve the interoperability of an
independently created computer program with other programs".

Written in 1991, the Directive considered decompilation only, based on the
assumption that source code was not communicated to the licensee. The case
of free/open source software looks different because the licensee has
legitimately an access to the source code (no decompilation is needed).
However, this is indeed without importance in my understanding: the idea is
that the legitimate licensee of a software program (received as object code
only or as object + source in the case of FOSS) has the right to inspect
and reuse this code with the purpose “to achieve interoperability”

There is a definition of interoperability in recital 10: 'The parts of the
program
which provide for such interconnection and interaction between elements of
software and hardware are generally known as "interfaces". This functional
interconnection and interaction is generally known as "interoperability";
such interoperability can be defined as the ability to exchange information
and mutually to use the information which has been exchanged. '

Therefore, my understanding of the directive is that software, that is
independently created and exchanges information with other software through
an interface, is independent software and not a derivative work.

This is also my own understanding. But it means that linking software for
interoperability (= for exchanging information) makes no derivatives and
that the way of linking (statically producing a single binary or dynamic at
runtime) is just a technical modality without substantial importance
regarding copyright.

There is another hint in section 3 of Article 6: “the provisions of this
Article may not be interpreted in such a way as to allow its application to
be used in a manner which unreasonably prejudices the rightholder's
legitimate interests”.

If some litigation comes (hypothetically) to the Court (note: the right
name is now “Court of Justice of the European Union”) and if I was - by
impossible chance - involved as a lawyer, I guess that I would argue that
protecting free software is a legitimate interest and that statically
linking with proprietary software unreasonably prejudices this interest. At
the contrary, linking with FOSS software covered by another “similar”
copyleft licence would not prejudice this interest.   Just my own
understanding of course...

Interesting debate...

Patrice-Emmanuel

Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz