[License-discuss] Dual-Licensing (GPLv2 and Artistic License 2.0)

Nico Diekhaus nico.diekhaus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 08:18:30 UTC 2013

Hello,

I can’t find any details about dual-licensing, that helps me. I have a
question about a source code I found and want to use for my program.
The souce code is licensed with the GPLv2 and the Artistic License 2.0. Can
I use the code for my program (and sell the program) without posting my
source code on the internet?
If it is just licensed without GPL I would say yes. Because I found the
following in the Artistic License:

„(6) You may Distribute a Modified Version in Compiled form without the
Source, provided that you comply with Section 4 with respect to the Source
of the Modified Version.”

“(4) You may Distribute your Modified Version as Source (either gratis or
for a Distributor Fee, and with or without a Compiled form of the Modified
Version) provided that you clearly document how it differs from the
Standard Version, including, but not limited to, documenting any
non-standard features, executables, or modules, and provided that you do at
least ONE of the following:
(a) make the Modified Version available to the Copyright Holder of the
Standard Version, under the Original License, so that the Copyright Holder
may include your modifications in the Standard Version.
(b) ensure that installation of your Modified Version does not prevent the
user installing or running the Standard Version. In addition, the Modified
Version must bear a name that is different from the name of the Standard
Version.
(c) allow anyone who receives a copy of the Modified Version to make the
Source form of the Modified Version available to others under
(i) the Original License or
(ii) a license that permits the licensee to freely copy, modify and
redistribute the Modified Version using the same licensing terms that apply
to the copy that the licensee received, and requires that the Source form
of the Modified Version, and of any works derived from it, be made freely
available in that license fees are prohibited but Distributor Fees are
allowed.
Distribution of Compiled Forms of the Standard Version or Modified Versions
without the Source”

So did I understand this right? Can I use the code of that program if I ...
... 1. "*clearly document how it differs from the Standard Version*"
... 2. "(b) ensure that installation of your Modified Version does not
prevent the user installing or running the Standard Version. In addition,
the Modified Version must bear a name that is different from the name of
the Standard Version."
I hope I made my point clear and someone can help me.
Thank you very much!
Greetings,
Nico Diekhaus