[License-discuss] Open source license and non disclosure agreement

Quentin Lefebvre quentin.lefebvre at inria.fr
Thu Oct 3 08:54:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

Currently working on an open source project, we are looking for an
appropriate license for it.

We would like something that allows us to work with people in a way such
that :
  - we can be informed of modifications of our program by developers,
  - we can have "our word to say" about redistribution of modified code
(i.e. we would like to be able to explicitly authorize people to share
the modified code).

There is something in the GNU (L)GPL in article 2 that looks like what
we want, but this 2nd article is not so obvious and seems in
contradiction with others. Here is what is said :

"You may convey covered works to others *for the sole purpose of having
them make modifications exclusively for you*, or provide you with
facilities for running those works, provided that you comply with the
terms of this License in conveying all material for which you do not
control copyright. Those thus making or running the covered works for
you must do so exclusively on your behalf, under your direction and
control, *on terms that prohibit them from making any copies of your
copyrighted material outside their relationship with you*."

But in GNU GPL's FAQ, here is what we found :
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowNDA ,
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowModNDA ,
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DevelopChangesUnderNDA .

I'd be very pleased to have more information and explanations about this
kind of non disclosure agreement. How is it possible exactly under the
GPL or LGPL terms ?
Should we maybe choose another license for our purpose ?
Are our goals in total contradiction with open source software ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Best regards,
Quentin Lefebvre
INRIA
Secure and Mobile Information Systems project