[License-discuss] license information improvement project - now with a mockup!

Engel Nyst engel.nyst at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 21:23:16 UTC 2013

On 11/06/2013 09:31 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Richard Fontana <fontana at sharpeleven.org>wrote:
>> Maybe a link to the license steward's FAQ, if any (perhaps with some
>> appropriate disclaimer that the OSI does not necessarily endorse
>> anything in such FAQs)? This will only be relevant to a few licenses but
>> some of them are among the more widely used ones.
>

> Excellent point; added to the mockup.
>
> This somehow tipped it over the edge as too information-rich for me, so I
> tried out another mockup, posted here for your comments:
>
> http://wiki.opensource.org/license_improvement_sample_alternate

Oh, the alternate sample looks much cleaner to me. Sub-sections and
simple lists make it readable and it's helpfully organized.

I'm wondering though about the intended links to home and FAQ pages. I'm
not sure the license homepage is different than what counts as FAQ, it
seems they are different only for MPL and GPL. A license homepage is
already rare, and sometimes it's precisely meant as FAQ.

If the license steward doesn't have a dedicated license page (other than
the text), like EPL, the closest to a license homepage would be the
legal page I assume...[1] However, it only has other Eclipse information
and not about the license. I'm not sure it helps.
I provisionally set EPL FAQ as homepage. I must misunderstand the
intention of the homepage placeholder, in my attempt to take MPL's as
example. MPL has a rich home. :)

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/legal/