[License-discuss] Akshar License 1.0 Final Draft

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Fri May 3 17:08:47 UTC 2013

Prashant Shah <pshah.mumbai at gmail.com> writes:
>I am submitting final draft for a software license called Akshar
>License for review on this list.
>
>https://github.com/octabrain/akshar/blob/master/LICENSE-1.0.txt
>
>https://raw.github.com/octabrain/akshar/master/LICENSE-1.0.txt
>
>Mainly it differs from Apache License 2.0 in sections 3 (patent grants
>to derivative works) and 4 (more relaxed terms)

What is the motivation for this license?

We generally very strongly discourage the creation of new open source
licenses.  There are too many already, and each new license increases
the burden on developers and legal departments.  There should be a
convincing reason why no existing license will even come close to
serving your purposes before you try creating a new license, IMHO.

Best,
-Karl