[License-discuss] Acceptable LICENSE citation

Nirk Niggler nirk.niggler at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 20:17:59 UTC 2013

Chuck, thanks for your reply.

I definitely have seen many people just follow option (2) but my current
understanding is that it is actually unacceptable for MIT license
(regardless of how many people do it).

GPL, for example, goes out of the way to say that it is permissible to
indicate "how to view a copy of this License", which admits the
interpretation that simply linking to a GPL license is sufficient.

MIT explicitly says "The above copyright notice and this permission notice
shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software",
which I interpret to mean that the entirety of the MIT license must be
included.

I realize including the entire contents is repetitive, but is there an
official statement or court case that would justify merely saying MIT
rather than including the full license?