[License-discuss] OSI license issue: Artistic license

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Tue Jul 9 03:26:09 UTC 2013

Hi, Jilayne, some comments in-line:

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Jilayne Lovejoy
<jilayne.lovejoy at openlogic.com> wrote:
> Do you (OSI) have any thought on the proposed options below?  I suppose I
> should have made #3 the option of simply adding all three variations.

>>> Currently, the SPDX License List includes only the Artistic License 1.0
>>> (Artistic-1.0) (see: http://spdx.org/licenses/Artistic-1.0) which is
>>>the OSI
>>> version (with no clause 8).
>>>
>>> In a previous thread, the last comment on this issue by OSI was to ask
>>> whether the OSI variation occurs "in the wild."  If not, then it was
>>> suggested to change the OSI site to match the Perl site text.
>>>
>>> (my two cents on this is that it may be hard to say what has been found
>>>"in
>>> the wild," as it would be easy to conflate "Artistic LIcense 1.0"
>>>without
>>> realizing the OSI and Perl sites display distinct variations.  The only
>>>way
>>> to determine the difference would require a much closer look.  I would
>>> hazard to guess that these variations have been confused for each other
>>>"in
>>> the wild."  But I can't back that up in one direction or another at this
>>> time.)

I've been unable to find resources that would identify this, or at
least not without much work that I'm unable to give this at this time.

>>> Some insight from a license-savyy person associated with Perl who could
>>> help?
>>>
>>> Proposed solutions:

>>> SPDX LIcense List adds two new licenses, as follows:
>>> - Artistic License 1.0 w/clause 8  |  Artistic-1.0-cl8
>>> - Artistic License 1.0 (Perl)  |  Artistic-1.0-Perl
>>>
>>> OSI can then choose(now, later, whenever) to update or change their
>>>listing
>>> (or not) as it so desires and just update the SPDX short-name identifier
>>> accordingly; keeping everything in order, in terms of naming and
>>>references.

This is obviously the easiest one for us :) Short of any suggestions
from the Perl community, historical background, or hard data from
someone, I'm inclined to follow this path - I simply don't know yet of
any other way to make a choice between them.

Luis