[License-discuss] Permissive but anti-patent license

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Jan 29 21:08:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:42:00AM +0530, Prashant Shah wrote:

> I had some minor issues with Apache license - Redistribution clause -
> sections 1, 2 & 4. So
> I went ahead and modified the Apache license to suite my needs. Its
> just a template right now - nothing serious.
>
> https://github.com/octabrain/notache/blob/master/LICENSE-1.0.txt

There are indeed some serious problems with the Apache License 2.0, and I
avoid it like the plague.  There's some information about its problems in
a WikiVS page:

    https://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Apache_License_vs_COIL

I'll give this Notache License a closer look.  I'm pretty unhappy with
section 4 (redistribution) of the Apache License 2.0 myself.