[License-discuss] [FAQ] Is <some PHP program> Open Source?

Engel Nyst engel.nyst at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:42:40 UTC 2013

Hello license-discuss,

On 11/29/12, Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com> wrote:
> Ben Reser <ben at reser.org> writes:
>>On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com> wrote:
>>> Any comments welcome.  If I hear a lot of +1s, then I'll edit the FAQ
>>> page accordingly.  If this gets a lot of comments, then we'll just see
>>> where the thread goes.  Here are my proposed top-level categories:
>>
>>+1
>>
>>>   * Is <SOME PHP PROGRAM> Open Source simply because it's written in
>>>     PHP?
>>
>>Some reason why this is PHP and not:
>>
>>* Is <SOME PROGRAM> Open Source simply because it's written in <SOME
>>OPEN SOURCE LICENSED LANGUAGE>?
>
> I assume because we got that question more about PHP than about anything
> else.  While I wasn't here when that question was written, I can confirm
> that this trend continues -- when I hear this particular question, it's
> usually about PHP (and not Python, Perl, or ${LANGUAGE_OF_THE_WEEK}).
>
> -K

About every time I have seen this question, its meaning has been:
"Is this PHP program Open Source simply because the source of a PHP
program is *available*, therefore 'open' source?"
"The source code of the application is provided, therefore open." (in
proprietary licensed applications)
The reason of many people's confusion on PHP applications has not been
the language implementation license at all, but the fact that it's an
interpreted language.

Other experiences may be different. I am, however, submitting this
issue for your attention. I have been surprised that the answer on the
FAQ page assumes[1] that the confusion around PHP applications being
"Open Source" has anything to do with the license of the language
implementation.

[1] http://opensource.org/faq#language-vs-license