[License-discuss] Changes made by derivative works

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Feb 1 10:34:37 UTC 2013

On 01/02/13 07:28, Ben Reser wrote:
> No, the license doesn't matter.  If you redistribute a modified file,
> regardless of how you chose to license your modifications you need to
> specify that you modified the file.

Right. And, as you note, this doesn't apply to Apache as they actually
aren't using their own license as inbound. Except where they are, and
they ignore this requirement anyway. (Which says something about its
value and relevance.)

What this does is it privileges (in terms of convenience) one group of
modifiers of the software over all others. I think that the "official
version" of a particular codebase (saying nothing about trademarks)
should be determined by developer acclaim, not by any licensing
speedbumps, however slight, put in the way of
anyone-other-than-the-first-people.

Gerv