[License-discuss] Obtaining Open Source licence

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Dec 18 13:34:34 UTC 2013

Tonima Ali wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to upload a software code as an opensource software and want to
> use an open source licence for it. The software is called QT2Decoder,
> it is an image processing software for post processing of MRI
> specially designed for brain pathology.
> Can you guide me on how to get an open source licence for it?

Your question is unclear:

- if you're trying to USE software written by someone else, it's up to
the author what license and other terms that they release under - you
have to contact the copyright owner and negotiate if you want something
other than their standard license

- if you're the author (as implied by "upload" and the currently empty
sourceforge repository with what looks like your name attached) - YOU
decide what license you release the code under, you don't have to "get"
a license from anyone - if you're looking for the wording of common open
source licenses (e.g., gpl, Apache) - you might look at:
http://opensource.org/licenses
For more information, you might look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_licenses
https://github.com/blog/1530-choosing-an-open-source-license
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/ (biased toward GPL - but then, they pretty
much invented open source licenses, so they're entitled"

Miles Fidelman