[License-discuss] TGGPL as a GPL exception -- possibly OT (was Re: Open Source Eventually License Development)

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Fri Aug 23 16:12:31 UTC 2013

Zooko,

This  thread my be drifting off-topic for license-discuss.  I'm not sure
if GPL exception drafting is appropriate here or not

zooko  wrote at 12:27 (EDT) on Wednesday:
> However there is a specific thing that I'm unwilling to allow: that if
> I make a work available to you under TGPPL, that you take advantage of
> the 12 month grace period for keeping your derived work proprietary,
> and then deny the grace period option to derivors immediately
> downstream from you.

I think this might be doable as a GPLv3 exception.  Downstream can
always revert back to pure GPL, but if they are permitted to make th
work proprietary (in part or whole), it means they need the exception
in-tact, otherwise they're violation GPL.  Thus, I think that
requirement can propagate, since no one downstream can revert to pure
GPLv3 unless and until the grace period has expired.

--
   -- bkuhn