[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Aug 21 16:30:15 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 09:41:31PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I recommend that anyone using this use it in parallel with GPL 3-or-later, as you have done.  That way, the program can't fail to be free software.  And there is nothing to lose by doing this, since it permits anyone to release a version with trivial modifications under GPL 3-or-later at any time.
>
> What do you think of making that recommendation?

I will recommend that to anyone using TGPPLv1. As I just alluded to in another
post to this list, I'm also working on a "TGPPLv2" (with the help and
encouragement of Bradley Kuhn) which would allow anyone to make a derived work
be GPL-licensed. That way anyone using TGPPLv2 would automatically have the
option of switching to GPL, and would not have the option (while still using
TGPPLv2) of preventing downstream users from switching to GPL.

Regards,

Zooko