[License-discuss] Unlicense CC0 and patents

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Fri Aug 23 12:40:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 07:04 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> > The OSI couldn't come to an agreement on the fallback license, since it
> > explicitly withheld patent rights [2].
>
> Well, sort of.  My recollection is that some of the folks on
> license-review including me merely suggested to CC that they should
> consider just dropping the withholding-patent-rights language completely
> (for the reasons cited in OSI's FAQ).   I don't think anyone on
> license-review said it was, to borrow the expression, a deal-breaker,
> just a bad idea to put into a licence generally.

Is there any good reason why an individual shouldn't use a dedication
and
and fall-back license derived from the CC0 by removing the patent
clause?
I know the Copyright Commons didn't want to publish an alternative,
since
it would dilute their message.   However, perhaps someone could strike
the words "or patent", give it a fancy name, and submit it here?

Clark