[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Aug 17 19:16:24 UTC 2013

Eben Moglen explained:
> Yes, that's the alternative I originally recommended and that we
> have been discussing Larry Rosen's objection to.  The agreement
> between D and O might be one designed to create a fiduciary
> relationship, of special trust and accountability, to which the
> legal system applies uniquely high standards of responsibility.

That's not at all what I objected to. I was merely responding to your
argument that your way (setting up a fiduciary trust relationship) is the
only reliable way to accomplish this goal of "Open Source Eventually."

But now that you ask, I would object to turning this into a discussion of
who qualifies as fiduciary "of special trust and accountability." Some of us
have different opinions about that. But if that special trust is, as you
predict, honored by that fiduciary, then certainly that software will
eventually be released under the GPL. Your way could work.

As for Richard's question about how to enforce these high standards of
responsibility, maybe you can refer that to a law student to review the ways
one can force a charitable foundation to satisfy the conditions imposed by a
donor. My favorite historical case, in the context of a will, is here:

http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/reliving-the-200-year-saga-of-benjamin-f-80
7851/

/Larry