[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Aug 16 23:51:15 UTC 2013

> Larry, my dear man, how do you arrange to get specific performance
> of this promise to license in future once the underlying original license
> is revoked?

How did it get revoked?

This is quite simple, Eben: By dealing with this as a standard two-party
contractual arrangement, the person who *buys* a commercial license upon the
(irrevocable!) promise that it will be available *to him* a year later under
the GPL, can thereby create an enforceable promise. Once he gets it (a year
later!) under the GPL, he is free to distribute it to you or to any other
trusted agent.

Let me insist please that I do not support this business model! For many
reasons, including those stated by you earlier, this business model is
probably doomed to fail. I only attempt here to avoid
philosophical/linguistic discussions relating to "performative utterances"
and get us back to basic licensing law.

Best,

/Larry