[License-discuss] plain text license versions?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Sep 4 17:52:00 UTC 2012

Luis Villa asked:
> Have we (OSI) ever seriously adding putting plain text versions of
> licenses (where available) to the OSI website?

While this makes no difference to the legal implications of a license,
converting to plain text destroys information useful for human beings to
comprehend the license. It is like removing indentation and line endings
from source code. Please don't encourage old-fashioned ways of representing
licenses so they can't be easily read by the only ones that matter: Human
beings.

This is part of my existential battle, including within Apache, to
acknowledge that HTML allows for a richer vocabulary of expression. Quit
down-versioning our creative works. :-) Does this qualify as a "historical?
technical? inertial? other?" reason in your lexicon? Whichever, why waste
time creating an 80-column ASCII format in this day and age? Some people, I
guess, still use punched cards for their software, but let's ignore their
needs.

My opinionated best regards,

/Larry