[License-discuss] CC v3 artwork with GPLv3

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Oct 10 07:29:12 UTC 2012

Ilia Ternovich wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm building Open Source project based on GPLv3 license. I'm using
> artwork from several independent artists and their artwork is licensed
> under CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivate 3.0.
>
> Additionally I've got in touch with artists directly and gained
> approve to use their artwork in my project. Can I distribute artwork
> alognside my project binaries/source code? How should I notify end
> user that artwork is not GPLv3?
Assuming the artwork is part of the user interface, not just sample
data, you need to provide the program in a perfectly usable form using
artwork that is GPL compatible, then provide the additional artwork
separately.

It is important that the program is completely usable without the
no-commercial use artwork.  It also assumes that the artwork isn't a
derivative work of the program.

This is based on my understanding of the spirit behind the GPL.  It
doesn't say when the artwork becomes a derivative work, although artwork
that is meaningful outside of the context of the particular program will
be safer, and it doesn't define how separate separately has to be,
although I would suggest that there needs to be an active step involved
in installing the restricted artwork, that happens after a fully
functional program is installed, so that no reasonable user could
install it by mistake.

--
David Woolley