[License-discuss] License Stewards

Kuno Woudt kuno at frob.nl
Fri Oct 5 05:17:37 UTC 2012

Hello,

On 10/05/2012 01:04 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Grahame Grieve (grahame at healthintersections.com.au):
>
>> well, ok, but on what grounds would copyright not apply?
>
> I believe Larry was asserting his view that a software licence consists
> solely of functional elements, and no expressive (artistic) elements (or
> not enough that a judge would recognise copyright eligibility).

Even if this is true, someone aiming to re-use the license text for a
new license may not want to rely on it [1].

It seems better for the license steward to either explicitly state that
they regard the license text as functional and not copyrightable or to
just license the license text appropriately.

-- kuno / warp.

ps. [1] Especially when considered in an international context, I expect
a dutch court to regard a license text such as Apache v2 or GPLv2 to be
copyrightable, but IANAL.