[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing page [revisited]

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Mon Nov 12 17:03:58 UTC 2012

Thirded.  The alphabetical list is the one I use most.  I find the
category list mostly useless.

Frankly, if you aren't going to tackle the categorization issue then I'd
just update the links to insure they are accurate and leave it alone
because you're going to have contention over what belongs in that list of
"popular, widely used or have strong communities" on the revised landing
page.

Saying "categorization is off topic" while essentially moving what is most
likely to be the most contentious aspect of categorization to the top
level license landing page is simply odd.  The licenses in that top list
will be the tacitly recommended licenses by the OSI and having an outdated
list there doesn't strike me as particularly helpful to the newcomer.

If you want to update main "Open Source Licenses" landing page that isn't
mostly blank with two links then I'd move some of the FAQ answers to the
landing page.  Discussion regarding what permissive and copyleft means
would be helpful for a newcomer.

If you really want to present a neutral "Popular/Widely Used/Strong" list
then use one developed from actual metrics of what is widely used.  The
OSRC one is the one I typically refer to.  You'd want to remove the
non-OSI approved licenses off that list.

http://osrc.blackducksoftware.com/data/licenses/

If you don't like that data set then pick another comprehensive data set
to base the widely used list on.

- Nigel