[License-discuss] [License-review] CC0 incompliant with OSD on patents, [was: MXM compared to CC0 ]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 9 16:23:11 UTC 2012

Quoting Jim Jagielski (jim at jimjag.com):

> BTW: How is this different from, say, the US export control provisions?
> In both cases, a codebase is encumbered by external, and "localized"
> restrictions. So does this mean that software distributed out of
> the US, no matter the OSI license, isn't "really" open source?

During the period that the RSA algorithm was encumbered by a (somewhat
weak and potentially challengable) patent in USA jurisdictions, mod_ssl
was widely considered to effectively not be open source when deployed in
the USA, yes.

--
Rick Moen         There was an old man             Said with a laugh, "I
rick at linuxmafia   From Peru, whose lim'ricks all   Cut them in half, the pay is