[License-discuss] Linking question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 3 08:58:48 UTC 2012

Quoting Chris Travers (chris at metatrontech.com):

> I would second that.  I would add that there is a huge difference
> between, say, the FSF suing Apple over an Objective C plugin to the
> GCC and large for-profit software and service houses suing eachother
> over the license.

Quibble:  It wasn't Apple but rather NeXT, Inc., and the matter came
nowhere near litigation.  FSF merely brought to NeXT's attention their
need to cease violating gcc copyright by either shipping the ObjC
front-end processor in binary form only or releasing source code under
the required licence, and Steve Jobs pretty quickly opted for the
latter.

--
Rick Moen                   "It is important to close all parentheses.  We've
rick at linuxmafia.com         all been trapped in a Mike Royko aside since 1978."