[License-discuss] [License-review] CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Mar 2 19:51:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 11:18:12AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Chad Perrin (perrin at apotheon.com):
>
> > You seem here to be saying "Let's not worry about it.  You'll get sued,
> > or you won't.  There's no perfect answer, so don't bother trying to come
> > up with somewhat better answers."
>
> That is not what I said, and very far from what I meant.  And you
> actually know that, but desire to waste everyone's time anyway.

1. The use of the word "seem" was not accidental.

2. I said I didn't think you actually meant that (but you cut that part
out).

3. It *seemed* like you were saying that in part because of the previous
comments to which you replied.  Context matters.

4. Your condescending self-importance is not helping.

> What I meant included things like 'People in general and very
> large corporations have no problem deploying open source software
> including codebases under popular reciprocal licences without infringing
> copyrights, through the simple expedient of not attempting to play
> aggressive brinksmanship games with property rights.  Someone else might
> volunteer to give random coders free legal advice about whereexactly
> the brink is, but I have many better things to do with my time.'

I think you have a strange impression that people are talking about
trying to get away with something sketchy when, in fact, most people here
are probably just talking about trying to "get away with" writing useful
code.