[License-discuss] [License-review] CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

Mike Milinkovich mike.milinkovich at eclipse.org
Fri Mar 2 19:23:52 UTC 2012

Larry,

I don't disagree with this, but I feel obliged to point out that " truly
independent open source softare developers" sometimes make available
combinations of code which violate license terms. And their work is then
included in the work of others. Given the ease with which open source code
can be transmitted and re-combined in today's world, the failure of one is
quickly amplified by many. This leaves consumers - whether they be
corporations or downstream OSS organizations - in the position of
identifying and addressing their errors.

I am not suggesting that there is a solution to this. I just wanted to make
it clear that it is a big problem, not a small one. Unfortunately, I've
never seen an attempt to collectively share the results of due diligence
work, so the effort is wastefully replicated by each and every consumer.