[License-discuss] due diligence - was: CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 2 19:03:18 UTC 2012

Quoting Bruce Perens (bruce at perens.com):

> Software engineers in companies have the daily task of combining
> copyrighted property of multiple parties. They still graduate
> college today without the capability of recognizing the issues or
> using counsel to resolve them appropriately.

As I found out when I worked in proprietary software companies, such
engineers end up accidentally violating licence terms of third-party
proprietary packages (on account of failure to recognise the issues or
use counsel to resolve the appropriately) far more often and severely
than they do third-party open source codebases.  The matter just tends
to get settled quietly, when noticed by one party or the other.

--
Rick Moen             "The phrase 'sources high in the administration' can give
rick at linuxmafia.com   unintended connotations, depending on your readership."