[License-discuss] Linking question

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Mar 2 17:16:22 UTC 2012

Bruce Perens wrote:
> Despite the fact that Larry and those law review folks are sure about
> the linking question, every party who would benefit from a case going
> according to Larry's interpretation has settled their case with the GPL
> licensor rather than invest what is necessary for a court to make a
> determination.

This is misleading. AFAIK, every case that has been brought about the GPL to-date has alleged the simple failure to include a copy of the GPL license and the source code of the GPL software with the distribution. NOBODY has ever alleged in court that merely linking to a GPL program creates a derivative work requiring the disclosure of the linking code. NOBODY has ever settled such a case such that their code must be released.

Pure FUD.

/Larry