[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing pages

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Tue Jun 12 00:15:08 UTC 2012

On 6/11/12 6:31 PM, "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

>The language about a 'fixed pool of open source developers' is
>revealing:  One notes the assumption of entitlement to mindshare.
>Perhaps the easiest solution would be to regard copyleft as a
>subcategory of proprietary development.  Then it'd suddenly become OK
>again.

One final nitpick.  I was discouraged that I would pick the term "fixed
pool".  Fortunately, I did not and wrote "finite pool".  While the number
of geeks is small and the number of geeks that contribute to open source
smaller it does grow from time to time. :)

There is no assumption regarding the entitlement to mindshare but the
reality that folks have only so much bandwidth to be involved in projects
and everyone would be happier all around if enhancements can make it
upstream.

Chad has been better at articulating my views than me so I leave him to it.