[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing pages

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 8 03:33:03 UTC 2012

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at mercury.ccil.org):

> Is there actually such a thing as copyright sublicensing?  I suspect not.
> In which case "purporting to sublicense" an unchanged copy of a work
> is usurping the copyright owner's right to control the license, and
> likewise for a copy whose changes are de minimis.  You can license your
> derivative work however you like, consistently with the original license,
> but that's not a sublicense: it is the license of the new work.

My surmise is that the thing being referred to as '{sublicensing|relicensing}
of BSD works' is in fact stating the licensing for a derivative.

A certain number of the BSD regulars remain deeply unhappy when those
works state copyleft requirements, even though they're perfectly happy
when derivatives of the same BSD works have proprietary licenses.  Go
figure.