[License-discuss] Alternative Proposal: The OSI licensing pages

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Tue Jun 5 18:49:00 UTC 2012

Larry, I think the text below is a constructive proposal. I understand
(and to me that's perfectly fine) that Luis does not intend to change
the short list of popular licenses at this time, yet when that is up
for discussion I think the below is one good route out of this.

In terms of usability it's unfortunate that the FSF, Black Duck etc do
not link back to the opensource.org pages for each license, so it is
still worthwile if we can agree on a list of our own that would do
exactly that. (Of course, we might not agree, but there's a point in
trying...)

I just wanted to throw in another thought for when that day comes. A
current issue for me is not so much picking one good license for my
own project, rather let's say I develop software for some use case
(for me web and SaaS software) and I'd like a lawyer to pre-approve a
list of licenses out of which I can freely consume FOSS software for
that use case. Now it is in my interest to get a list that looks
short, yet covers as much FOSS software as possible.

Of course, I can use resources like Black Duck to get such a list, but
if it would be possible for OSI to agree on and host a page which
starts with the sentence: "Based on studies [footnote1, footnote2...]
we believe that more than 90% of open source software ever published
uses one of the following licenses:"

Then it would of course start with GPLv2, the other GPLs, Apache, BSD,
MIT, Mozilla, Eclipse etc...

My point is that to me it doesn't really matter whether those are
considered good or bad licenses (my lawyer will then reject any he
doesn't like), I just like to know which licenses are used a lot.

henrik