[License-discuss] Derivative Works of a standard

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Jul 9 17:59:37 UTC 2012

Grahame, I apologize for the incorrect links on the official OWF website. My
version has the correct links, so I'm going to make sure it gets posted to
the OWF website. In the meantime, here's the link to my Google Docs version
that should contain the accurate links:  http://bit.ly/ORf662

As to standards organizations that actually use these agreements, here is
the most recent list that I'm aware of:
http://www.openwebfoundation.org/faqs/users-of-owf-agreements

Regarding your question about derivative works, here are the copyright
grants from the OWFa and CLA 1.0 (highlight added):

OWF CLA section 2.1: Copyright Grant.   I grant to you a perpetual (for the
duration of the applicable copyright), worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge,
royalty-free, copyright license, without any obligation for accounting to
me, to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly
perform, sublicense, distribute, and implement any Contribution to the full
extent of my copyright interest in the Contribution.

OWFa section 2.1:   Copyright Grant.  I grant to you a perpetual (for the
duration of the applicable copyright), worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge,
royalty-free, copyright license, without any obligation for accounting to
me, to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly
perform, sublicense, distribute, and implement the Specification to the full
extent of my copyright interest in the Specification.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482

Office: 707-485-1242