[License-discuss] GPL linking exceptions

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Thu Jul 5 23:04:59 UTC 2012

There are really two sides to this problem. Is your license still OSI
certified, and can you do this legally.

Regarding the OSI certification, the question is whether all of the
rights granted by the certified license still apply. If this is the
case, you can still say that the work is under the certified license.

None of the requirements of the Open Source Definition require that the
license make restrictions, so removing a restriction would not in
general cause a license to no longer be Open Source.

Then, the legal side. Of course, discuss this with your lawyer:

1. Make very sure you own the entire thing, or at least rights to
relicense all of the covered code.
2. Given #1, you have the right to apply any number of licenses,
including removal of restrictions.
3. Make sure that all changes you accept are either under the license
exception as you specify it, or have the copyright or the right to
relicense transferred to you.

Make sure that the way you communicate your removal of a restriction
makes clear that the restriction is removed only regarding your own
property. The GNAT modified GPL does this with the statement: /This
exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the
executable file might be covered by the GNU Public License.

/    Thanks

     Bruce/
/