[License-discuss] a GPLv3 compatible attribution for MIT/BSD?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Jan 18 22:19:35 UTC 2012

Clark C. Evans scripsit:

> That's incorrect.  Both Apache 2.0 and GPLv3 permit a requirement to
> display author attribution in legal notices shown to the user, this
> is beyond MIT/BSD license which requires only that the copyright
> notice in the source files be maintained.  So, I'm looking for a clause
> for MIT/BSD derivative which would be an equivalent statement, by
> "compatible" I mean a "permissive term" by the GPLv3.

You're correct to say that this is a gap in the existing set of open source
licenses.  What I would do if I were you is to construct such a license
using the MIT license and the attribution clause you want, carefully
tracking the language in the GPLv3.  Then follow the process "For Approval"
at http://www.opensource.org/approval .  IMHO you can reasonably ask for the
outside legal review to be waived, given the simplicity of your license.

--
John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Sir, I quite agree with you, but what are we two against so many?