[License-discuss] a GPLv3 compatible attribution for MIT/BSD?

Johannes Buchner buchner.johannes at gmx.at
Sun Jan 15 14:23:11 UTC 2012

On 01/14/12 14:58, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> Good Morning!
>
> Our company is releasing a medical informatics platform, RexDB,
> under the GPLv3 license later this year (after the code has a
> developer documentation).  We will be using 7b clause of the GPLv3
> license for a reasonable author attribution.
>
> Even so, parts of our system will be released under a more
> permissive license, and I'm wondering if there is a simple,
> MIT-style clause that would be compatible with the GPLv3?

IANAL, but consider these points:

 - "GPL compatible" are licenses that allow relicensing of the work
with GPL. So they are a strict subset of GPL in a way.

 - MIT/BSD allows relicensing to pretty much any other open-source
license.

 - The original BSD license (with advertising clause) has not been OSI
approved.

 - The original BSD license (with advertising clause) is not GPL
compatible. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq#OrigBSD

As far as I read 7b, it's about comments like
/* (C) John Doe, 2007
 * This copyright notice must be preserved ...
 */

It talks about preserving the preservation of legal notices or
author attributions, not rules of any ad formats for the software.
c-d also only limit the misrepresentation (much like BSD), but does
not prevent anyone from not giving you attribution in marketing
material --
*The only thing you demand is that they distribute the source, and
that the source must (forever) contain your name.*
BSD/MIT licenses do demand that too.

Cheers,
Johannes