[License-discuss] GPL and non-GPL binaries in one distribution

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jan 12 21:23:28 UTC 2012

Mike Steglich asked:

> Is it permitted to have a program licensed under GPLv3 and an EPL software

> in one binary distribution? There is no share of source code ore use of a
library.

> The GPL binary executes the EPL binary as an external process (as a
command

> line tool).

Mike Milinkovich replied:

> The answer, as always, is "it depends".  Have you read [1] and [2]?

> They capture the basic positions of both the FSF and the Eclipse
Foundation.

> However, they do focus primarily on the plug-in scenario.

> [1] http://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/epl-gpl-commentary/

> [2] http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/using-the-gpl-for-eclipse-plug-ins

For the record, and even though you've heard this from me before, I'll say
again that the analysis in the FSF FAQ is wrong.

There is no copyright or GPL license restriction on combining GPL and any
other open source or proprietary software by functional linking *as long as
one does not thereby create a derivative work*.

Derivative work analysis in copyright cases is admittedly complicated. There
have been several excellent articles in the International Free and Open
Source Software Law Review (http://www.ifosslr.org/ifosslr) that address
this topic far better than anything you'll read in the FSF FAQ.

A combined GPL and EPL work is typically released as one single binary for
functional purposes only and the combination has nothing to do with the
expressive nature of their source code. As far as I am aware, derivative
work analysis in copyright law explicitly excludes the functional aspects of
the works in question. I would appreciate hearing any legal citations to the
contrary.

Clearing up this FUD would allow us to answer Mike Steglich and others in
the FOSS community simply: Be free to combine GPL and EPL and any other
non-GPL software in one binary or source code distribution. Just don't
distribute derivative works of the GPL software except under the GPL.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482