[License-discuss] CDDL 1.1 and GPL 2 with CPE

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 20:56:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 03:23:09PM -0500, Gervais, Mathieu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any particular reason why CDDL1.1 and GPL2 _with classpath exception_ are not approved by the OSI ?
> (i.e.  http://glassfish.java.net/public/CDDL+GPL_1_1.html )

I am not sure when CDDL 1.1 was introduced but I think it was
relatively recently.

I think the typical OSI modern tradition has been to wait for the
license steward to request OSI approval, a general issue which someone
raised on one of these OSI lists some time ago. (I believe exceptions
around late 2007 included GPLv3 and its siblings for the reason that
the FSF would never submit those licenses itself, along with the
presumed inherent importance of those licenses.)

So, I would assume it is up to Oracle to decide whether to submit CDDL
1.1 for OSI approval. (Is anyone from Oracle on this list?)

Some ASF discussion of CDDL 1.1 vs CDDL 1.0 here:

The Classpath Exception may be another matter. I don't see the value
of OSI approval of GPLv2+Classpath Exception (ignoring the question
whether there's really a canonical version of it) since OSI has in
modern times generally not bothered to approve GPL+permissive
exception permutations, to my recollection.

As for approving CDDL1.1+GPLv2 with Classpath Exception as though it
were a single license, I think that would be unprecedented. Sun never
asked for approval of CDDL 1.0 and GPLv2 + Classpath Exception as a
single license package, SFAIK.

- Richard