[License-discuss] objective criteria for license evaluation

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Dec 9 22:14:51 UTC 2012

Hi Luis,

There are many useful ways to cut the data. Even raw statistics on number of
lines of code under each license; number of independent foundations/projects
that have adopted each license; types of software under each license; etc.
can be interesting. I'd like to know which licenses are used by government
agencies; for-profit software companies; non-profits. Most useful would be a
way of listing "large" or "important" projects and the licenses they use, as
long as the list of such projects is broad and comprehensive.

I have no idea how Black Duck or others calculate their statistics nor what
is included in their samples, so the lack of methodological openness is more
of a problem than the availability of "statistics". I hope that OSI can
address these questions as scientists would, rather than as religious
zealots for one sect or another.

Regarding the classification of licenses, I think it is most important to
categorize licenses in the same business-related terminology that relates to
business models. So you need to identify which licenses ignore or have
antiquated provisions regarding patents, and why that might matter; which
licenses require reciprocity; whether that reciprocity includes use by third
parties over a network or whether it is a "strong" or "weak" reciprocity;
which licensees contain defensive suspension provisions (patent only or
copyright also) that require due diligence before reliance on that software;
which licenses are definitely incompatible with each other for derivative
work purposes; which licenses are approved for use by the US or other
governments; which contain attribution requirements beyond a subset of basic
requirements; which contain jurisdiction or governing law provisions; etc.
Of course, OSI should identify licenses that have been superseded or
withdrawn by the author.

Good luck doing this with scientific precision.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482