[License-discuss] Making the PHP FAQ generic

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Dec 7 21:26:24 UTC 2012

Are restrictions on the *use* or *results* of proprietary compilers
consistent with generating open source programs in that language? Can the
copying of binary code into an executable by the compiler itself affect the
license on that executable?

I have heard people ask if running a GPL compiler that includes GPL
libraries into a resulting program creates a GPL obligation for the
resulting program. I hope not!

/Larry