[License-discuss] objective criteria for license evaluation

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Tue Dec 4 23:28:35 UTC 2012

Sorry about the long lag in response here; I thought some followup had
gone to this list but apparently not.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Tzeng, Nigel H.
<Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> I am unaware of another comprehensive dataset but I also haven't seriously
> gone looking for one either.  The raw data is available and there is an
> API to access it.

Sure! Obviously this is better than nothing; I'm just hoping others
can point to other resources we could blend/combine with this one.
(And of course we can ask Ohloh about providing more context so that
we can more reliably use the existing numbers.)

> Ideally the OSI would collect such metrics but I understand the financial
> limitations that the OSI is operating under.
>
> On the other hand things like Ohloh and the OSRC metrics really should
> have been OSI initiatives and perhaps with the affiliates and individual
> memberships you can now afford to do things like this.

It is certainly the kind of thing that I'd love to see us push for
with more resources. And it isn't just a resource thing; I think in
general OSI is ready to be more proactive about this kind of thing
than we have been in years past - we see more things, like this one,
as potential topics for action. I definitely hope we're not just
limited to advocacy.

Anyone else have other suggestions for objective criteria we could
use? I know some folks here have been thinking about this issue for
some time.

Luis