[License-discuss] Can copyrights be abandoned to the public domain?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Aug 17 16:12:03 UTC 2012

Russ Nelson asked:
> Larry, have you ever been driving over a bridge that collapsed?

Not that I can recall. :-) Out of fear of that very result, though, I
support increased infrastructure spending by our government.

But I don't stress out every time I drive over a bridge or when I use open
source software that is owned by an individual who wants to reserve her
moral rights. Indeed, I respect moral rights in the ways that I license and
use open source software and I advise respectful attribution whenever
appropriate. Does the protection of moral rights require anything onerous of
you?

Best,

/Larry