[License-discuss] Can copyrights be abandoned to the public domain?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 14 19:47:08 UTC 2012

Quoting Richard Fontana (rfontana at redhat.com):

> Yes. I agree with you that 'public domain' is a misnomer (but no more
> than, say, the use of 'proprietary' to mean 'not free-as-in-freedom
> software').

FWIW, I feel the latter has domain-specific meaning, here; i.e., that
'proprietary' functions legitimately as a term of art within discussion
of software.

Yes, that's not what 'proprietary' means elsewhere (i.e., the qualtiy of
being owned).  However, meanings have contexts.[1]

> Close enough, but I wouldn't want you to think Red Hat is just
> concerned about Red Hat.

Truth, and a point well worth making.

[1] I'd rather be pissed in London than in San Francisco.