[License-discuss] Idea for time-dependent license, need comments

Marc Whipple MWhipple at itsgames.com
Thu Aug 9 16:19:35 UTC 2012

Without getting too far into your actual term suggestions, you seem to be trying to control who can benefit from your license based on who they are (nimble startup versus evil monopoly) not on what they do with the licensed material. You're trying to get at it in a putatively user-neutral way, but you come right out front and say you're trying to control market outcomes with it. Without speaking for anybody but myself, I tried to get a "you can do X but not Y for Z time period with the licensed material if you meet the other requirements" and it got shot down. It got shot down with the nicest rejection notice I've ever gotten, but the message was clear. I don't see this general line of attack working: to the extent it will fit into the open source guidelines, it will not do what you want, and to the extent it does what you want, it will not fit into the open source guidelines.

While I am a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and I do not speak for or represent any other member of the open source community. It's entirely possible I'm wrong, and if so, I look forward to having my error pointed out to me.

MW