Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Sep 7 23:51:38 UTC 2011

Thorsten Glaser scripsit:

> Hm, so translating into another language is enough? (That is not a big
> problem in the IT realm…)

I was thinking of translation by hand from and into a natural language,
which always involves creativity.  Google Translate would probably not
cut it, nor would a "mechanical" translation of a program whether done
by another program or by a person acting purely according to mechanical
rules.

But now we are deep in the weeds even for license-discuss: we are no
longer discussing licenses, but ways to get around the lack of a license
in obscure and unlikely circumstances.  So I'm done with this thread.

--
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the          John Cowan
portrait of Mona Lisa good if I desire to see           cowan at ccil.org
it? Is the bust of Sir Philip Crampton lyrical,         http://ccil.org/~cowan
epical or dramatic?  If a man hacking in fury
at a block of wood make there an image of a cow,
is that image a work of art? If not, why not?               --Stephen Dedalus