Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Sep 7 22:14:01 UTC 2011

Rick Moen scripsit:

> In that hypothetical, the US resident who published a BSD-licensed
> derivative work would not be violating the Feds' copyright, as
> no such copyright would exist domestically.  However, the moment
> he/she checked the code into his/her favourite code hosting site in
> Amsterdam, legal hilarity in European courts might ensue (copyright
> violation claims).

You might be right, but I don't think so, because of the U.S. principle
that a derivative work made under proper license belongs solely to the
deriver, unless there is an agreement otherwise.

--
I don't know half of you half as well           John Cowan
as I should like, and I like less than half     cowan at ccil.org
of you half as well as you deserve.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --Bilbo