[License-discuss] Looking for a license agreement.

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Mon Oct 10 16:21:57 UTC 2011

@Rudy

Has someone pointed you at ODbL (Open Database License via the Open Data
Commons) yet?

http://opendatacommons.org/

http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/

I believe that OSM switched to this and it might do what you want it to do
for the data part.  If all of your hosted data started under ODbL (or some
variant) then any derivatives of that data remain under the "same sticky
note" in your example...with the caveat that I haven't looked that closely
at ODbL, nor am I a lawyer. Open Street Maps has made an effort to switch
to this from CC-BY-SA.

Would you still need to explicitly tie your software license to the data
license in this scenario?