GPL revokability

dtemeles at nvalaw.com dtemeles at nvalaw.com
Tue May 10 17:24:31 UTC 2011

Interesting question and comments.  I assume the precise question is
whether a party that licenses software under the GPL 2.0 or 1.0 may
revoke or terminate the license when the licensee in question is not
in breach of the license terms.  GPL v. 3.0 provides that it is
irrevocable during the term of the copyright so long as the licensee
is in compliance with the license.

The answer re GPL v 2.0 and 1.0, as unsatisfying as it may seem, is it
depends upon the specific facts and the applicable jurisdiction's law.

The GPL is a non-exclusive license subject to interpretation and
enforcement under contract law and the related equitable concepts just
like any other software license, whether proprietary or open source.
(My apologies to all of Moglen's "bare license" disciples out there).
Versions 1.0 and 2.0 of the GPL are largely silent on termination or
expiration of the license absent the licensee's breach.  Therefore,
the parties to the license must apply the applicable body of contract
law to the particular facts of their specific situation to determine
whether the agreement is terminable by the licensor in the absence of
a breach.  There simply is no definitive "one size fits all" answer
and the question must be approached on a case-by-case basis.

IAALBNYL